Monday, April 2, 2012

SCOUTS AND GOD

SERVANT of GOD FRANK PARATER

Francis Joseph Parater was born into a devout Catholic family in 1897 in Richmond, Virginia. He was educated at Benedictine High School in Richmond, graduating in 1917, top in his class and valedictorian. In his late teens, Frank became very active in the Boy Scouts of America. His involvement was so exemplary that he was asked to serve in roles of leadership even at his young age. As a scout, he achieved the rank of Eagle He was known for his ideals and practical judgment. 

In 1917, Frank began studies for the priesthood at the Benedictine Belmont Abbey Seminary College in North Carolina. He continued to lead a very devout life as is detailed in the journal he kept while there.  Even when in the seminary he was active in the scouts, being the director of the summer camp for the Boy Scouts of America. He was considered a "four-ply scout", exceptional in every way.

 In 1919 he was sent to study at the North American College in Rome. Frank was instantly popular among his fellow seminarians  displaying a warm sense of humor and cheer as he continued to deepen his spiritual life. In December he wrote an Act of Oblation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus which was sealed and marked to be read only in the event of his death. In late January 1920, Frank developed rheumatic fever causing him tremendous suffering and he was administered Last Rites. He died February 7 less than three months after his arrival in Rome. His Act of Oblation was later discovered in his room when a fellow seminarian, was gathering Frank’s personal belongings. The Act of Oblation caught the attention of Pope Benedict XV, who had it published in the Vatican’s Newspaper, L’Osservatore Romano, and also of Pope Pius XI who “had it copied for his own edification.”

            I have nothing to leave or to give but my life and this I have consecrated to the Sacred Heart to be used as He wills...This is what I live for and in case of death what I die for. Since my childhood, I have wanted to die for God and my neighbor. Shall I have this grace? I do not know, but if I go on living, I shall live for this same purpose; every action of my life here is offered to God for the spread and success of the Catholic Church in Virginia.  I shall be of more service to my diocese in Heaven than I can ever be on earth.

Our second Eagle Scout was born 60 years after Frank died. CHARLES ANTHONY FRANCIS UNTZ was born in 1982. In 1996, the Untz family moved to Andover, Minnesota, where they continued giving their time and service to help out at Epiphany Church, which was very near their small farm. Charles advanced to the highest rank in the scouts and was awarded with the Order of the Arrow. In attaining the rank of Eagle Scout in 1998, Charles penned these words for the “Ambition and Life Purpose” question: “My life purpose is to do the will of God. I feel he is leading me to become a priest or brother in the Franciscan order. My ambition in life is to become a saint. There is nothing harder to achieve than this, but I will continue to strive for it.”

Charles loved farming and was especially adept at training and riding horses. Because of all of his work at Epiphany and other parishes Charles got to know many priests. One priest is quoted as saying, “I believe that Charles made me a better priest, because he took the priesthood so seriously. When you looked into his eyes when he was talking with you, you saw such devotion and respect that it made you want to be better than what you were so you could be worthy of that. Another who knew him well said, “I have worked with thousands of souls, and Charles’ was the purest.” 





On March 20 as he was going to work at the turkey farm across the road he was struck by a car. He was wearing his Benedictine crucifix. He was given the last rites and died surrounded by his family.

During the time of the wake a man named Daniel stopped by. He said that he was driving by shortly after the accident. Pulling over, he found the EMT’s treating the driver of the car that hit Charles.Then he found Charles lying face down in a ditch. He turned him over and held his hand until the EMT’s came. He said that as he was holding Charles’ hand he sensed something that he immediately knew had to be the presence of God. The policewoman, who had come to the house after the ambulance took Charles away, also stopped by. She, too, wanted the family to know that she felt God’s presence as she touched their son’s hand. She testified that after that experience her life could never be the same.
Due to his great devotion to our Blessed Mother he is called Lady’s Knight.

1 comment:

  1. The two saints on earth are role models for the younger generation. It is important that God is introduced and Frank and Charles are still spreading the love of God. I am a fan of Charles' and Frank's. I know that they are spreading God's message to my family and me.

    ReplyDelete