Thursday, May 30, 2024

FOR CORPUS CHRISTI

 


                                        “O Christ, Thou Art Within Me Like a Sea”  


 O Christ, thou art within me like a sea,

Filling me as a slowly rising tide.

No rock or stone or sandbar may abide

Safe from thy coming and undrowned in thee.

 

Thou dost not break me by the might of storm,

But with a calm upsurging from the deep

Thou shuttest me in thy eternal keep

Where is no ebb, for fullness is thy norm.

 

And never is thy flood of life withdrawn;

Thou holdest me till I am all thy own.

This gradual overcoming is foreknown.

Thou art within me like a sea at dawn. 

                                                     Edith Lovejoy Pierce


Edith Lovejoy Pierce (1904-1983) was a 20th-century poet and pacifist. Born in 1904 in Oxford, England, she married an American in 1929 and moved to the U.S.the same year. She was a poet and pacifist whose Christianity informed her works

No comments:

Post a Comment