Tuesday, July 28, 2015

MOVIES- THE END



One would wonder if we go to the movies weekly???  Many of these movies I saw before I entered religious life.  My brother Jeff and I often went to Saturday matinees with friends, and my Mother was a real movie buff. We have had friends over the years who taped for us or sent us movies, so we can watch on Sunday night.

If I were to divide films into categories it would be:
    Favorite DIRECTORS:
Alfred Hitchcock would be at the top as he made so many movies that we like, esp. Rebecca, Rear Window, & North by Northwest.

I personally love the Coen Brothers: O Brother Where Art Thou (Mother Prioress' favorite)
Steven Spielberg:  I add him as he did some of my favorites: Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List
(already mentioned), Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones series), and Back to the Future.

I take after my mother (who was an opera singer) as I do not like a lot of  MUSICALS but
West Side Story, American in Paris, Singing in the Rain, and My Fair Lady can't be beat.



Some movies on a lot of lists, I hated,  such as Forrest Gump (sorry America), Rocky, Les Miserables (miserable!), and The Truman Show.



CLASSICS not yet mentioned are: Gone with the Wind (I cried so hard the first time I saw it I was an emotional wreck for days- what can you expect of a 12 year old?) African Queen (still a movie we all like to watch- Hepburn & Bogart at their best), Lion in Winter, and the tragic Red Shoes.




BOOKS made into great movies: How Green Was My Valley, Old Man and the Sea, To Kill A Mockingbird, Wuthering Heights (the original with Merle Oberon & Laurence Olivier), Jane Eyre (again the original with Orson Welles & Joan Fontaine), Fried Green Tomatoes, The Life of Pi, and A Town like Alice (done in a series).

Other GREATS of long ago (really that long ago??) Roman Holiday, The Sting and Cool Hand Luke (both with the great Paul Newman), One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Patton, Rainman, Star Wars, Driving Miss Daisy, Guess Who is Coming to Dinner, (Spenser Tracy shows up a lot), and Lady Hawk.



NOT SO LONG AGO GREATS: The Pianist, Dances with Wolves, In the Name of the Father Never Cry Wolf, As Good as It Gets, The Bucket List (Morgan Freeman again), Tea with Mussalini, The Impossible (which should have won Naomi Watts the Oscar), Avatar (I was not prepared to like this), Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branagh & Emma Thompson).

Speaking of Emma, if it had not been made for TV,  she would have had an Oscar for Wit.

The Big Year (my Community said they understood my obsession with birds after seeing this) and last year's The Grand Budapest Hotel.




There you have all the movies I have loved  (or hated) over a lifetime (as far as I can remember).  Now go watch some!

No comments:

Post a Comment