Wednesday, September 26, 2012

MORE ILLUMINATIONS

The Trinity  (2nd vision in Scivias) depicts Christ as a sapphire blue figure, standing in the midst of two circles: one golden-colored, its diameter just about the same length as Christ's height; the other, larger one a lighter color, surrounding and enfolding the smaller figure. These circles, in turn, are surrounded by a blue background and a framework of floral designs. This striking image, according to St. Hildegard, is not just of Christ, but indeed is a vision of the Holy Trinity. "This is the perception of God's mysteries . . . that bright light bathes the whole of the glowing fire, and the glowing fire bathes the bright light; and the bright light and the glowing fire pour over the whole human figure, so that the three are one light in one power of potential." So writes Hildegard of her vision. The largest circle represents the light of God. The inner circle signifies the fire of the Holy Spirit. And  the figure is Christ embedded in the fire of the Spirit and the light of the Creator.

The Trinity

 

St. Hildegard wrote: But the light I see is not local, but is everywhere, and brighter far than the cloud which supports the sun. I can in no way know the form of this light, just as I cannot see the sun's disc entire. But in this light I see at times, though not often, another light which is called by me the living light, but when and in what manner I see this I do not know how to say. And when I see it all weariness and need is lifted from me, and all at once I feel like a simple girl and not like an old woman.
The Human Soul

Matthew Fox (ex-priest) defrocked by the very German Pope who canonized
St. Hildegard in May and will make her a Doctor of the Church in October, is said to have "put her on the map" with his book of her Illuminations. And while the drawings are fine they cannot compare with the version done in Germany about 35 years ago. They are done in gold leaf  and the two volume set was then about $200. I was fortunate to be given the set by a very dear German friend and while I cannot understand much of the explanations I relish the beauty of the pictures.     

No comments:

Post a Comment